Lessons that the Year 2020 has taught us
The new year is almost here. It’s time to look back at some important lessons this year going by has taught us so that we get ready to welcome the new year in a more positive and healthy way.
- Health is the real Wealth – One of the greatest lessons that 2020 has taught us that we need to prioritize our health over everything else. Even though we know that health is extremely important for us to live, grow, do, achieve and enjoy what we want in our lives, Yet how many of us have given our bodies the importance and respect it deserves? This year the pandemic made us realize how baseless life is without a healthy body. We understood the importance of taking care of our health and to be more disciplined about eating clean and healthy food, maintaining personal hygiene and cleanliness in our homes and environment.
- Gratitude is the most important virtue – This year taught us the importance of enjoying little things. When the environment outside was so dangerous to step out of our homes, even a cup of tea with our loved ones at home felt so relieving. It was enough that we felt safe and healthy. We did not desire anything else at that point in time except our wellbeing. We learnt how we could be happy with the little that we had and with the little that we could do as long we and our loved ones were safe. Each time we heard of someone’s ill health and tragedies, we learnt to appreciate our own life. We learnt to value the time we were getting with our own families and loved ones.
- Importance of taking Responsibility – This Year 2020 taught us the importance of living in the present. It showed us how worrying about the future is not the answer to our problems. Instead of doing your best at the moment in hand is the best way to get through even tough situations. Since the pandemic took us all by surprise, there was no time to get caught up in the “why did it happen” pattern of thinking. Instead, we focused on what we can do to keep ourselves safe. The Prime minister too emphasized this point that we all need to learn to be more responsible. It taught us to shift our thinking from Worrying about taking Action in the present and learning to be more responsible for our lives.
- Mental health is important for overall wellbeing – 2020 has taught us that it is more important to Step Inside that to Step Outside. We have realized the importance of strong will power and mental strength. When the mind can find its way to be calm and peaceful despite the chaos around us, we emerge stronger. We find a way to get through the toughest of times. We experience more balance, equanimity and power in the present moment. A peaceful mind, it is said is a powerful mind. How we handle pressure or stress, how we are able to deal with people, how we cope up with the challenging situations comes from our mental health and state of mind.
- Don’t give up – 2020 has taught us not to get disheartened with failures. Most successful people have said, that they grew the most from the challenges they faced. There are people who have already come out stronger from these current times too. They have not given up as a result they have seen positive results. Things happen to help us grow bigger and stronger.
At the end let us remind ourselves, the Universe loves us and wants to see us succeed. It wants us to grow and lead a happy healthy life. So let us continue to trust the process of life. Let us contemplate on the lessons above and get ready to Welcome 2021 with joy in our hearts.
Cheers to new beginnings and happier times
Dr Karishma Ahuja, PhD