Relieve Stress with these powerful Tips
Running a business, handling your staff, conducting meetings, working in teams, meeting deadlines and achieving targets can get very stressful and exhausting. We may at times end up feeling helpless, irritable, and unhappy. In order to succeed and lead a healthy life, we have to ensure we maintain balance, calmness and peace of mind.
Here are some of the best stress relief tips when you find yourself extra busy and stressed.
- Take a break – It’s very important to take breaks during work, even when you feel like there’s a great rush to complete your task. Taking a small walk is ideal in such situations. Walking is a great way to manage stress. It helps your body release endorphins, the neurotransmitters that make you feel warm and refreshed. For some reason if getting off to a walk is not possible, then you can stretch while sitting itself for five minutes. Stretching can also help with discomfort. It will calm your mind and body. Gently rotate your head left to right, right to left, up and down. Move your shoulders up and down. Stretch your arms and legs. Clasp your hands together and push upward with your palms facing the sky. Stretch and hold the pose for few seconds.
- Practice Mindful Breathing – Here is a great stress relief tool. Sit straight. Keep your spine erect. Close your eyes. Breathe slowly and consciously. Inhale silently through your nose. Hold your breath for few seconds, or till however you are comfortable. Exhale slowly with your mouth slightly open and relax. Do this for 6 to 7 rounds. Mindful breathing is an effective way to reduce anxiety, stress, and depression. It allows your brain to relax. You will be in better control of your feelings.
- Soak your Feet in water – Immersing your feet in a tub of warm water is a great way to relax when in stress. The water temperature should be comfortable to immerse your feet into it. This can be an effective way to help relax and soothe tight, tense muscles. It is also known to hydrate your skin and can also relieve aches and pains due to sitting and standing for hours. According to research, the simple relaxation gained from a soaking feet in warm water is also helpful for a more peaceful sleep at night.
- Write your thoughts down – Putting down your thoughts on paper can help you focus your thoughts on the positive and help you to tackle the negative talk going on inside your head. Keeping a diary to pen down your thoughts helps you create order when your world feels like it’s in chaos. When you write down your thoughts, you clear your mind and understand your feelings more clearly. It can help you gain control of your emotions and improve your mental health. To make this a more effective exercise to de-stress, Once you write down how you are feeling, cancel it out with a big Cross and then write down how you wish to feel. For example cancel Anger and write Peace.
- Laughter is the best therapy – The health benefits of laughter are well known today. From boosting your immune system to increasing endorphins to your brain, laughter can help you with stress relief as well as increase your physical and mental health. Learning to laugh is one of the best ways you can add more joy into your life. Look up for some funny audios or videos you can find online. Laugh your heart out. It will drive all your stress away. You will not only feel happier but also get healthier. Your environment can also play a huge part in your mood. Include happy photos and notes that make you smile in your work and bedroom area. They will help you with stress relief
Dr Karishma Ahuja, PhD
Also check out: Lessons the Year 2020 taught us